Monday, November 29, 2010

I've Got A Headache!!

My third project for Acrylic Techniques forced me to employ a "squiggly line" technique, as well as utilizing graphite or ink alongside acrylic in painting. Well okay, not "forced", but I wasn't in the greatest mood when this project reared its head and so I give you my idea for this one:



Freakin' headache. I was thinking of all sorts of horrible imagery that would give someone a headache like this, so I came up with alien laser beams, a monster creating a fissure in his brain, nuclear mine fields, sword pokes, and a narwhale bursting from the forehead. I actually drew the sketch of that one in math class, but I admit that I always kind of wanted to do more of a simply cartoon-like illustration. You know, with the cop-out flat background with a character on top that seems to be all the rage amongst art students nowadays. Thought I'd give it a try.


The "squiggly line" can be seen in the skin of the guy's head, right before the brain is exposed. I suppose its just a way to create an interesting texture? Hardly a reason to devote an entire project toward it though. I substituted the sword for a chainsaw and made the narwhale into metal. The colors in the final aren't what I had originally went with, but were added in later as per the suggestion of the professor. The narwhale for example was originally more flesh toned, more orange, but it was decided that there needed to be more cool colors in the brain area so changes were made. Unfortunately this was one of those times that the changes suggested to me were not what I wanted in the final piece. I suppose that this painting was the definition of cop-out.

All images and designs © Chris Loge 2010. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment